The Trail Winder UQ used the standalone UQP as a starting point and then adds a layer of asymmetrical Apex Climashield insulation to make it an effective Underquilt. I am currently stocking the 3.6 & 6.0 oz weights, but can order the others as needed.
It is available in either Asym orientation or a symmetrical orientation.
Asym orientation is based on which way you lay in the hammock and the insulation is cut on the angle to save weight and pack space.
However, it is also available in a symmetrical cut. For those who do not have a dedicated lay, such as those who toss or turn during the night, changing their orientation, a full width cut provides more uniform coverage. This will increase the weight and bulk obviously, especially as you get into the heavier weight insulations such as 7.5 or 10 oz.
Using either Argon 90 or calendered Ion Fabric, it provides resistance to wind and rain as well.
- Made from either Calendered Ion or Argon 90 (custom fabrics are possible as well)
- Layer of Apex Climashield insulation sewn in at your preferred lay orientation (currently stocked weights are 3.6 oz or 6.0 oz, others can be ordered)
- Length - Standard is 106", but if you prefer more coverage for your hammock, longer lengths are available (although it should be shorter than your hammock length to account for the UQ suspension)
- Width - 55-57" (depends on starting width of fabric)
- Suspension included - Adjustable shock cord loops at each end with Mini Biners.
- Enough shock cord is included for use on a variety of length hammocks are quilt stacking situations.
- 5' section on each side is shock corded. Easily adjust how snug it is to your UQ or hammock
- Includes stuff sack (an optional compression sack is available)
- Weight will vary depending on options chosen, but average weight for standard length Argon 90 is 16 oz in the Apex 3.6 oz Insulation, 19.5 oz in the 5.0, 22.5 oz in the 6.0, 25 oz in the 7.5 and 30 oz in 10.0.
If you choose to go with the Non-Asym version it will add roughly 3 oz for the 3.6, 4 oz for the 5.0, 5 oz for the 6.0, 6.25 oz for the 7.5 and 8.25 oz for the 10 oz insulation.
- For reference, the shiny side would be facing up (next to the hammock), while the duller side with the DWR treatment would be towards the ground
- The last picture in the gallery shows the approximate dimensions of the insulation.
Rough temperature estimates on insulation weights:
2.5 oz - 50o F
3.6 oz - 40o F
5.0 oz - 30o F
6.0 oz - 20o F
7.5 oz - 10o F
10 oz - -5o F